The other day before my son got out of the car he said, “Mom, Will you make Sopa today?” Sopa is a mexican version of easy chicken noodle soup. I love to cook – especially when my kids request one of their favorites. I remember as a child that this type of request was made to my mom on many occasion. All day, I looked forward to eating the Sopa and when I got home from school, my mother had it ready for me. Sopa de Fideo is a popular dish amongst my familia and many hispanic families. When my boys were little and began to eat more solid foods, this is one of the first things that they tried. I clearly remember them eating this with their hands and making such a mess but enjoying every bite – even licking the tray on the high chair! It is such a comfort food for me and brings back so many memories from my childhood and now it is doing the same thing for my children. I love how something so simple as this sopa has joined all the generations in my famlia. I hope you will enjoy this too!
Sopa de Fideo
7.05oz package of dry noodles (fideo)
1 can tomato sauce
1 – 32oz Chicken broth
2 cooked shredded chicken breasts
There are many different pasta options to choose from for this soup. In the picture below are some of the most popular types of pastas used. The most common is the fideo and the letras (alphabet). My boys loved the sopa de letras, when they were young they loved looking for the letters in their name. When they were learning to read they would make sight words with the letters. There are many ingredients you can add to this soup – cooked chicken, cubed potatoes and any veggie you like. It just depends on your personal preference.
How to make Sopa de Fideo:
1. Drizzle a little cooking oil in a 2.5QT pan/pot on medium heat. Add your onion and fideo (pasta). Keep stirring until the fideo is golden brown in color. I use large pieces of onion so I can pick them out later.
2. Once the fideo is browned add 1 can of tomato sauce, quickly stir the tomato sauce, and then add 1 32oz of chicken stock. Lastly, add the cooked shredded chicken breast. Place on low heat. It should take about 30 minutes or until the pasta is soft. When it’s ready, pick out the large pieces of onion.
Doesn’t that look so good! Is there particular food that you enjoyed as a child?
- 7.05 Package of dry noodles (fideo)
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 32 oz Chicken Broth
- 2 cooked shredded Chicken Breasts
- 1. Drizzle a little cooking oil in a 2.5QT pan/pot on medium heat. Add your onion and fideo(pasta). Keep stirring until the fideo is golden brown in color.
- 2. Once the fideo is browned add 1 can of tomato sauce, quickly stir the tomato sauce, and then add the 32oz of chicken broth. Lastly, add the cooked shredded chicken breast. Place on low heat. It should take about 30 minutes or until the pasta is soft.